I've written blogs in the past on making sure you choose the right photographer, so not going into all the due diligence you should go through to ensure they will deliver as promised, and this is not a blog blowing our own trumpet justifying why we charge what we do, and I'm happy to put my hand up and say we may not be the right fit for every couple and if you have the budget their are photographers out there that charge a lot more than ourselves, who knock my socks off with their skills, how you are paying for it with price tags two, three or even four times what we charge.
I just want to run a couple few fact past you not on why we charge what we do, but just some of the unseen expenses a professional photographer has, when you are thinking, well I only need them for a few hours, when you see photographers offering to travel from one end of the country to the other for a very small amount of money.
1. Fuel, some of our further wedding we can spend £50 on fuel before anything else, let alone anything inside London where we may have to pay the congestion charge on top which is an additional £11.50 at time of writing.
2. Website/Editing Software/Internet/ Back-Up. All these come at a cost which we have to cover out of what we charge.
3. Insurance, Car, Public Liability, and Equipment.
4. Car Maintenance, tax, MOT.
5. Depending on your package, they may have to pay a second shooter.
6. Also Package dependant, USB Flash Drives, Albums, Canvases, Prints, Presentation Boxes, and postage to send these out.
7. Equipment, Cameras, Lenses, and even memory card are expensive.
8. Time, this is the one are that is very much over looked, when we photograph a full days wedding, It normally takes (Me anyway) up to two weeks to edit the photographs, and if we have other bookings in between maybe longer .
I've not even gone in to advertising/marketing , electric for running computers, house/studio insurance.
Add all of this up, and you understand why wedding photography is not the cheapest item you will invest in if you want the quality of photographs and service you deserve on your special day.
Please, please keep safe that is all we ask.